THE Book Nook, a small independent bookshop in Stewarton, Scotland, has been named the UK’s favourite family business.
During March to June, thousands of nominations came in for small, family-run shops, pubs, bars and cafes around the UK through local shopping platform, ShopAppy.
The Book Nook was up against small family businesses around the UK, but the sheer range of nominations, and their quality, saw it named ShopAppy Favourite Family Business of the Year 2022.
The Book Nook received countless nominations from locals in Stewarton, which included:
- “Great book shop for the town. Helps kids and adults feel better. Sarah knows exactly what you want to read. They are very involved in the community and amazing with children.”
- “Great to have a local bookshop to encourage my children to pick up a book instead of a screen. The Book Nook runs community competitions to raise interest in reading. My child was delighted to meet an author and an illustrator on one of our visits. Fantastic!”
- “They are engaging members of the community both young and old to meet up and unite through the power of literature.”
- “I’d day-dreamed of a bookshop in our wee town for years, so when I heard Sarah was opening one I was delighted and haven’t been disappointed!”
- “Sarah, the owner, is the loveliest person and puts so much effort and love into her business and also the wider community.”
- “The Book Nook in Stewarton is a fab wee bookshop. As well as having an amazing variety of books for all ages, they are always getting involved in community events, starting a monthly book club which gets members of the community together.”
- “Kids love that there is a local bookshop and when they read a certain number of books they get certificates for completing them.”
Sarah Frame, The Book Nook owner, commented: “I am beyond thrilled. The fact that my wee tiny shop in our wee tiny town has won is incredible and it won’t just be me celebrating but everyone in Stewarton. Despite being forced to shut for a number of months due to the pandemic, everyone in the town rallied around us and we are eternally grateful for that. It’s great to see a whole community embrace books, adults and children alike, and each day that we’re open puts a smile on our face.”
Dr Jackie Mulligan, expert on the Government’s High Streets Task Force and founder of ShopAppy, added: “We received thousands of nominations for family-run businesses around the UK and each one of them should be applauded for the value they bring to their local communities. The Book Nook nominations really showcased what a wide range of positive impacts a small business can have on its community. Despite being in a town of just over 7,000 people, the quality of the nominations was unsurpassed. Here you have a small family business that is the beating pulse of an entire community and that is why they have been named ShopAppy Favourite Family Business of the Year 2022.”