People renting out rooms or properties on short-term lets now need to be registered


HOUSHOLDERS who rent out rooms or properties through AirB&B, holiday letting companies, or similar are reminded they now need to be legally registered with Aberdeen City Council.

A licensing scheme which was introduced by the Scottish Government started on 1 October 2022 and existing hosts and operators have until 1 April 2023 to apply for a licence. All short term let properties requiring to be licenced by 1 July 2024.

From 1 October 2022, any new hosts/operators cannot operate a short term let before their licence application has been determined.   

There are four types of licence for short-term let accommodation:

  • Secondary letting – The letting of property where you do not normally live, for example a second home that is let to guests;
  • Home letting – Using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are absent. An example of this could be whilst you are on holiday;
  • Home sharing – Using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are there;
  • Home letting and home sharing – Operating short-term lets from your own home while you are living there and for periods when you are absent.

Hosts should also be aware that properties must conform to a minimum safety standard and these will be detailed throughout the application process. They are also available online through the Scottish Government’s website at 5. Responsibilities upon obtaining a licence – Short term lets – licensing scheme part 1: guidance for hosts and operators – (

More information and how to apply is available on the council’s website at Short Term Lets | Aberdeen City Council

The latest stories