MM SEARCH, an independent executive search firm recruiting senior talent for businesses across the UK and international markets, has launched a Non-Exec Director Academy.
The launch event will be held on Thursday 19 March 2020 from 6pm until 8pm at the Blythswood Hotel, Glasgow. The interactive event will outline the benefits a Non-Exec Director can bring to business and also personal career development.
The first event will offer opportunities to both current and potential Non-Executives while outlining the unparalleled benefits that a Non-Executive Director can bring to a business.
Guest speakers at the event include:
- Sir Harry Burns, Scotland’s highly esteemed Chief Medical Officer from 2005-2014, Sir Harry Burns is now Professor of Global Public Health for Strathclyde University as well as Chair of the Wheatley Foundation. He has become renowned for his work to understand and tackle health inequalities, having performed Ted Talks, written numerous articles and undertaken countless interviews on the subject. Sir Harry was knighted in 2011 in recognition of his outstanding achievement and service to society.
- Neil Stevenson, CEO of Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (SLCC), Neil also holds a variety of Non-Executive positions across several organisations, including sitting on the Council of the Advertising Standards Authority. Notably, Neil is Chair of the Board of Changing the Chemistry, a diverse group that seeks to improve organisational effectiveness by increasing the diversity of thought on all types of boards and offers skills in a peer-to-peer support network providing practical assistance to help individual’s secure non-executive positions.
- Puneet Gupta, COO of PG Paper. The paper firm has a turnover of £56million a year and exports to over 55 countries. Puneet is a multi- award-winning business person who also has vested interests in several other companies.
- Julie Ashworth, Founder and Managing Director of BroadReach Group , Scotland’s lead for Women on Boards, Chair of Institute of Directors Edinburgh and Non Executive Director at a number of organisations
- Ian McDougall, Managing Director of McDougall Johnstone. Finance Director and co-founder of Glasgow Distillery Company. Non Executive Director at MM Search.
- Julie Ashworth, Founder and Managing Director of BroadReach Group, said: “In all of my roles and especially with Women on Boards I work hard to break down barriers to entry to the Boardroom both in Executive and Non executive roles. We know that better diversity across all groups leads to better innovation, better decision making and helps create better business results.
“Over the last 21 years BroadReach has worked across the world with multiple directors and Boards. We audit and develop individual leadership and boardroom skills. Women On Boards is on a mission to increase the gender diversity of Boards across all sectors in the UK. It has over 31 thousand members of which almost 3,000 are in Scotland. Its pragmatIc approach and connections helps break down the barriers to boardroom entry and build the pipeline of Board ready women.
“I believe it’s never to early to think about building your non executive roles which can add both breadth and depth to an existing career. Events such as these bring together those with experience and those with ambition. They play a crucial role in normalising the myth of the boardroom and access to it.”
This is the first of a series of events, the next will be held in Edinburgh later this year.
Derek MacFeate, joint Managing Partner, MM Search, said: “The Non-Executive Director Academy will introduce guests to the world of a Non-Executive Director. Guest speakers will talk first-hand about their experience as Non-Executive Directors and provide insight into the opportunity and fulfilment these positions offer. The evening aims to give both businesses and professionals the opportunity to find out what it takes to become a Non-Executive Director. Showcasing the unparalleled benefits of having an experienced professional as part of your business.”
MM Search has also boosted its team with the appointment of executive assistant and office manager Danielle Mullen.